Tuesday, July 5, 2011

What I've Been Reading Lately

I thought I'd make this post as a way of talking about things I've been reading, and inviting anyone who reads this to post whatever they're reading as well, or maybe even just things you'd like to read, but haven't quite gotten the chance yet.

As for me, I've been on a bit of a classic literature vibe these last few years, reading everything from the Divine Comedy, all the way to Sherlock Holmes. I'm a sucker for fancy (or old) hardcover editions of classic stories. Barnes and Noble is ridiculous with those, as they've put out all sorts of neat leather hardcover titles. I picked up an H.G. Wells collection, an H.P. Lovecraft collection, a Lewis Carroll collection, and The Divine Comedy all in this fashion.In between these titles, I also read the first Ender's Game (many already know of this book's significance to science fiction), a series of books called Malice and Havoc (great pre-teen demographic story about kids going into a horrible world within a comic book, standing up against a dark and powerful foe), The Hunger Games series (similar to Battle Royale, the story of a girl forced into a game of death with other kids her age by an evil Capitol that she hopes to one day take revenge upon), The Book Of Lost Things (an excellent romp into fantasy, making nods at classic stories like the Grimm's Fairy Tales and many others), Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (does this one need an introduction?), and plenty more stuffed on my shelf.

In the comic book side of things, I've been trying to play a bit of catch up. I've only just recently been getting back into the big Marvel and DC events, by starting up Fear Itself and Flashpoint. Amongst these, I've also been reading the events that preceded them, like the prologue issue of Fear Itself and preludes to the events of Flashpoint, like Brightest Day and the Flash issues. I have (like always) stayed caught up with Amazing Spider-Man and very much look forward to issue #666 and the Spider Island story. I've also tried to look into more independent works and came out loving them all (Finder is the greatest comic you're not reading, Scud: The Disposable Assassin is once again incredible (this one really has to be read to be believed), and hoping to give Blankets a try, as I hear it is a very touching story).

So, that's my generally over-the-top and unnecessarily huge reading list. How about the rest of you?

1 comment:

  1. I've been reading A Game of Thrones and, only started because I hate myself yet I'm pleasantly surprised by, post-Ultimatum Ultimate comics. Aside from Loeb's bullshit X-men spin-off and his New Ultimates series (both of which I've been avoiding like the plague), it's been pretty awesome. Armor Wars and Thor were great, Ultimate Spider-Man is awesome (I've only got the "Death of Spider-man" story arc left... Hoping that plays out well) and the first two Avengers story arcs were pretty cool. Currently reading Blade vs. Avengers and then I'm going to read Death of Spider-Man and whats out for Avengers vs. New Ultimates.

    ReplyDelete