Sunday, June 19, 2011

Have You Ever...?

Based on a recent experience of mine, a question posed in my head that I'd like to ask anyone here who's willing to answer it. Is there a game/movie/TV series/anime/etc. that you had been told was the "greatest thing evaaaaar!!!" by friends and acquaintances, but never actually checked out until recently, or possibly even never checked out at all? It's okay; there's no shame in anything you could say here, as I'm about to demonstrate with an embarrassing answer of my own.

Game: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. You're reading this correctly. I only JUST recently decided to give this game a try after watching friends of mine play the multiplayer in the past, and sometimes a bit of the campaign. I know it's like a sacrilege to a lot of people, but allow me to explain at the very least. I don't like huge amounts of hype for anything. What's even worse; I hate elitist fanboys/fangirls of anything, regardless of what it is. It could even be for something I generally like, and I will still hate certain fans of it. This next part should come as no surprise, but the hype about this game, the one preceding it, and the one coming out later this year continually annoy the heck out of me. Working at GameStop for over 4 years made it even more annoying. Just like Halo 3's release, I had a constant lashing of people of all ages spouting phrases like "It's the greatest game ever!" I then proceeded to find out that over 60% of the people I asked, never even played the campaign. Talking to a lot of the people that played the game that I had sold it to, made me want to stay far far away from the multiplayer, unless it was with my own friends. I don't even think I need to explain what my issue is there. If you've played online multiplayer in Halo or Call of Duty before, you know what I'm talking about. There is some GOOD news out of all of this however... I actually do like the game itself!

So there you have it. My embarrassing, but honest story is complete. How about the rest of you? Is there anything you've either recently checked out or haven't seen that everyone else is always praising like it's their new messiah?

No comments:

Post a Comment